Tuesday, May 13, 2008

# 3 What Robs Believers of Biblical Joy

3. Inadequate Understanding Of God’s Sovereignty

“A third factor that robs believers of joy is an inadequate understanding of God’s sovereignty. For believers to fret and worry over their circumstances and to fear what the future may hold is tantamount to doubting God’s sovereignty, as well as his power and love." (John MacArthur)

I find it interesting that MacArthur would tie doubting God’s power and love with an inadequate understanding of God’s sovereignty. I remember a time when I struggled with the circumstances of leaving my old church and the difficulty of finding a new one. I recall telling people, “I trust that God has a plan, but I don’t trust humans to carry out that plan”. What?! As if God’s sovereign plan could be thwarted by human decision, whether right or wrong! In reality, I was questioning God’s ability (power) to control what was going on in my life and the world around me. Though I did not realize it at the time, I also doubted God’s love and found myself questioning whether or not God knew what was best in my life. This resulted in a bitterness that took root in my heart and absolutely robbed me of joy.

Agree or Disagree? What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Matt said...

I'm with you. A trust in God's sovereignty enables you to see difficult situations in a positive, meaningful light. God's sovereignty helps you realize,
1. It's not an accident - there's a purpose.
2. You're not necessarily in it because you stink - God honors you by give you a scenario in which to honor Him.
3. It's not hopeless - the Sovereign God is ready, willing, and able to work it for your good (Rom 8.28)
All that adds up to joy.

Ryan said...

I absolutely believe this one. It is easier and "feels better" to look for people to blame for circumstances but when we believe God is in control of all things, then nothing is out of his control. Therefore when we can truly separate ourselves from circumstances and allow God to work and have his way, we no longer feel the need to judge, to blame, or defend ourselves when we feel the need. This of course assumes we did not create the situations with stupid decisions... which in the case of your last church, it was not a result of anything you did.

Rachel said...

Guilty. Yikes. I'm an abuser of this phrase..."I trust God's plan, BUT..."

But nothing. You either trust it or you don't.

Well said.