Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where is the Guarantee?

I have never been one to get “stressed out”. Sure I have had times when I worried about a new job or had anxiety about a paper due in college, but for the most part I have always been able to keep it in check.

Recently, however, this hasn’t been the case. Maybe its too much evening news or the constant barrage of the media but I have found myself becoming concerned, almost worried, about the state of our world and my survival in it. With the economy in the craphole, the cost of gas and food rising, and the ever present cloud of fear that seems to be engulfing our culture, I have found myself asking questions such as: What will I do if I can’t afford gas? What will happen if I can no longer pay rent? What if I lose all the comfort and safety I have grown so accustomed to?

What if?

The question alone causes an avalanche of fear and insecurity. I want to have control so badly but when I realize I can’t, I look for comfort in blaming politics, parents, society, culture, or any other entity I can think of. Is this pleasing to God? After all, didn’t Jesus tell his disciples,“…do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble” (Matthew 6:34) Perhaps, instead of asking the question “What If”, I should be asking myself the question “Since When”

Since when did God promise me a nice comfortable life?
Since when was I assured protection from persecution or suffering?
Since when is the USA God’s chosen nation?
Since when am I guaranteed to even finish this blog post?

The Bible does give promises about this life, but they look more like this:

“You will be hated by all for my name's sake.” Like 21:17 (ESV)

“...If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.” John 15:20 (ESV)

“Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” 2 Timothy 3:12 (ESV)

My reward is not in the comforts of this life. It is not in money, hobbies, work, pleasure, success, power, freedom, safety, status quo, sports or swimming pools. My reward is only in the resurrection that is to come through faith in Christ.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really know how you feel, lately i have had the same fears and have fallen pray to them. I will pray and hope to encourage you with my prayer.

Unknown said...

Scott this is a great post. I have had to wrestle with those questions in this past year or two and God really brought me and Ryan to the same conclusion as you - leaving the county for a year is always helpful there...as is planting a church and living like a missionary. :) A good reminder that God doesnt promise prosperity - he only calls us to follow - where he takes us is up to Him.

Markchop said...

Here's some more:

Matthew 10:29-31
29"Are not two sparrows sold for a]cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.
30"But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31"So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

Matthew 6:25-34
25"For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
26"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?
27"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,
29yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.
30"But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!
31"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'
32"For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.